May 16, 2007

Spring in NS

April is finally over and its into May. I thought for sure that the cold weather would never leave. Then, it got warm for a couple weeks, and it only took about a couple days for the flowers to start growing.

I had some peppers growing on the window sill too. They look pretty dangerous.
We finally got Nathan's garage floor poured too. I wasnt much help due work, but that floor is damn nice.

So, then Melissa comes over and wants to use the computer. No problem. Turns it on and nothing... monitor turns on for a split second and then disappears.

I know some people would make fun of me for this, but I am "curious" I guess. I dont really want to spend $200 on another monitor. I'd rather spend $800 on a flatscreen TV that I can route the computer through, and since I can't afford that yet, I decide to either fix the monitor or disconnect the internet and put the computer away.

So, I tear the monitor apart (it snaps together, not many screws) and pull out its guts. There is the control board for the screen and a power supply board.
Looking closely at the board, there is a discoloured part with a nice toasty black capacitor on it. Hmm... Its supposed to be yellow, I thought.

Looked for a couple days and finally found another capacitor to replace it. (its the blue one sticking out from under the board).
Plugged it in and crossed my fingers... Jackpot!

So, similar to what I have said before... If you or anyone you know needs a monitor repaired... for god sakes, take it to a professional!








No comments: